Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Greenhouse Automation

Last summer I started plants in my 4' x 4' greenhouse and watered the plants inside and on the west side of this greenhouse using a 3/4 inch irrigation valve connected to drip irrigation devices. The valve was controlled by an X10 module with a 110 volt AC to 12 volt DC wall wart (power supply). I used ActiveHome software on my computer to turn the valve on and off at preset times. I could also use my X10 remote to turn on or off the valve. This made it easier to show friends and neighbors how the system functioned.

For my 2005 garden, I purchased a 6’ x 8’ Master Gro greenhouse and assembled it on the south side of my house. I plan on using X10 to automate the 110 volt fan, open and close the vent. I have installed my drip irrigation for the plants in the greenhouse. I also use drip irrigation for my potted plants with water supplied from my yard irrigation system. I also will use an embedded system to monitor the temperature of the greenhouse air and soil temperature and display them in my house. Later X10 devices will be replaced with a microprocessor to control 110 volt AC devices, 12 volt devices, and sensors.

Greenhouse devices:
  • An alert if the temperature is too cold or too hot in the greenhouse

  • Vent opened at a set temperature

  • Mist and fan turned on at a set temperature

  • Smoke alarm


  • Currently I have 80 plants growing in the greenhouse, and I am getting ready to move some of my tomatoes to my hydroponic system.

    No comments: